Athens Bicycle Accident Attorneys
The Athens region is popular with bicyclists but experiences a growing number of injury accidents
Athens traffic-safety laws are designed to allow bicyclists to share the road safely with motor vehicles in an increasingly crowded space. Unfortunately, bicycle collisions still happen, often with deadly consequences.
Georgia bicycle laws are meant to keep riders safe – but collisions still happen
According to BicycleGeorgia.com:
- A person propelling a bicycle shall not ride other than upon or astride a permanent and regular seat attached thereto and shall allow no person to ride upon the handlebars.
- No bicycle shall be used to carry more persons at one time than the number for which it is designed and equipped.
- No person riding upon any bicycle, coaster, roller skates, sled, or toy vehicle shall attach the same or himself to any vehicle upon a roadway.
- Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable.
- Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.
Get information on bicycle crashes from the Athens Police Department
The Athens Police Department offers information on accidents. Contact them to get more information after a bicycle accident.
Athens bicycle crashes have common causes and deadly outcomes
While helmets and proper reflective gear make bicycling safer, riding a bicycle is riskier than driving a car. Maintaining control is more difficult on two wheels, and when collisions happen, bicyclists are at greater risk of serious injury or death because they don't have an enclosed vehicle for protection.
Common causes of Athens bicycle crashes include:
- Motorists turning across path of cyclist;
- Cyclists riding into the path of a motor vehicle;
- Cyclists turning right from a major road and from a minor road;
- Child cyclists playing or riding too fast.
When someone is injured in an Athens bicycle accident, what needs to happen next?
In an injury bike crash, it is crucial to get appropriate medical treatment, regardless of the financial cost. The major hospitals in the area include St. Mary’s Hospital.
As soon as possible, an injured person should contact their insurance company to find out how medical treatment is covered under their insurance policy. Since insurance policies often have unique provisions to deal with bicycle-accident injuries, it is important to review the policy and speak with the insurance adjuster to get clarification on coverage.
When a bicycle collision is serious or fatal, The Weinstein Firm can help
When a bicycle accident, caused by someone's negligence, results in serious injury or death, the next step is to speak with a Weinstein Law bicycle accident attorney to start the financial recovery process by launching an insurance claim. Major injury or wrongful death claims are complicated and can be hard to manage without legal help. Having a personal injury lawyer on board is a great relief to injured bicyclists, or to the family left behind when an accident proves fatal.
Contact us today to get your questions answered and receive a free case evaluation. We can help you get your life back on track.