Smyrna Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
In Smyrna, pedestrian accidents and fatalities are on the rise
At one point or another, everyone is a pedestrian. As the expense of driving and insuring a vehicle rise, more and more people choose to walk to their destinations. As the number of pedestrians increases, so do the number of pedestrian accidents.
Despite safety improvements, pedestrian accidents are common in Smyrna
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2013 nationally, 4,735 pedestrians were killed in traffic crashes in the United States, which averages one crash-related pedestrian death every 2 hours.
Additionally, more than 150,000 pedestrians were treated in emergency departments for non-fatal crash-related injuries in 2013. Pedestrians are 1.5 times more likely than passenger vehicle occupants to be killed in a car crash on each trip.
Pedestrian Laws in Georgia
Both motorists and pedestrians can engage in behaviors that cause collisions. According to state pedestrian law as described by the Georgia Governor’s Office of Highway Safety -
- The driver of a vehicle shall stop and remain stopped to allow a pedestrian to cross the roadway within a crosswalk when the pedestrian is upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling.
- No pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impractical for the driver to yield.
- Whenever any vehicle is stopped at a marked crosswalk or at any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection to permit a pedestrian to cross the roadway, the driver of any other vehicle approaching from the rear shall not overtake and pass such stopped vehicle.
- Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right of way to all vehicles upon the roadway unless he has already, and under safe conditions, entered the roadway.
Despite these safety laws, pedestrian accidents are an ongoing issue in Smyrna.
Get information on pedestrian collisions from the Smyrna Police Department
The Smyrna Police Department offers information on accidents. To learn more about how to request a collision report or other public records, contact them directly.
Common causes of Smyrna pedestrian accidents include:
- a failure by drivers to check for pedestrians in crosswalks;
- drivers failing to stop at stop signs or lights;
- texting and other driver distractions;
- drivers choosing to make turns without paying attention to their surroundings;
- driving under the influence.
When someone is injured in a Smyrna pedestrian accident, what needs to happen next?
When a pedestrian is injured, it is crucial to get appropriate medical treatment, regardless of the financial cost. The major hospitals in the area include StoneCrest Medical Center.
As soon as possible, an injured person should contact their insurance company to find out how medical treatment is covered under their insurance policy. Since insurance policies often have unique provisions to deal with pedestrian-accident injuries, it is important to review the policy and speak with the insurance adjuster to get clarification on coverage.
When a pedestrian accident results in a serious injury or a fatality, The Weinstein Firm can help
When an injury is serious or a death occurs, the next step is to contact The Weinstein Firm pedestrian accident attorneys, to start the financial recovery process by launching an insurance claim. Major injury or wrongful death claims are complicated and can be hard to manage without legal help. Since our personal injury lawyers offer a free initial consultation and work on a contingency basis, meaning that there are no up-front costs and all fees are paid when the claim is settled, there is no downside to contacting us to learn more about your rights and options.